Maintaining your garage door is important to ensure that it continues to work properly and does not become a safety hazard – especially if there are children or animals around. While you could certainly hire a professional to do this for you, there are a few things you can do yourself to keep your garage door in good shape. With this garage door regular maintenance checklist, you can rest assured that your garage door will be working like new in no time!
Why do I need to maintain my garage door?
Your garage door is one of the most important parts of your home, and it’s important to keep it in good working order. Regular maintenance will ensure that your door continues to work properly and doesn’t develop any problems.
There’s also safety to think about. Garage doors can be very dangerous to be around when they aren’t in perfect working order, especially if you have children or animals around that may not understand the dangers.
As the experts at a1garage.com will tell you, there’s also a good economic reason to keep your garage door in good condition. When problems are left to get worse instead of being quickly addressed, it can lead to irreparable damage and cause you to have to buy an entirely new garage door.
With regular maintenance and a quick response to emerging problems, you can spend much less money in the long run.
What are some things I can do to maintain my garage door?
There are a few things you can do to maintain your garage door:
- Check the hardware regularly. Make sure that all the bolts, nuts, and screws are tight. If any of them are loose, tighten them up.
- Lubricate the moving parts. This will help keep them working smoothly and prevent any premature wear and tear.
- Inspect the door for any signs of damage. If you see any cracks or splits in the wood, or any other damage, replace the damaged parts immediately.
- Test the door regularly to make sure it’s working properly. Open and close it a few times to make sure it moves smoothly and doesn’t get stuck.
- If you notice a malfunction that you don’t feel comfortable diagnosing or fixing yourself, make sure to consult a professional who can make sure your garage door is safe and in excellent working order.
- If you have an automatic garage door opener, check the sensors regularly to make sure they are working properly.
- Check that the connections to the batteries in the mechanism are working properly and that all of the displays and remote controls are working as intended.
By following these simple tips, you can keep your garage door in good working order for many years to come.
How often should I maintain my garage door?
Assuming you have a typical garage door, it’s important to maintain it on a regular basis to keep it functioning properly. At a minimum, you should inspect your garage door and lubricate the moving parts at least once a year.
If your door isn’t operating smoothly or if you notice any damage, it’s time to give it some attention. Inspect all of the hardware, including the springs, cables, pulleys, rollers and tracks. Make sure that nothing is loose or damaged.
If something does need to be repaired or replaced, it’s best to call a professional. Trying to fix a garage door yourself can be dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing.
In addition to regular maintenance, it’s also a good idea to give your garage door opener a tune-up once in a while. Check the manufacturer’s instructions for specific maintenance tips.
What are some signs that I need to get my garage door serviced?
If you notice any strange noises coming from your garage door, it’s definitely time to get it serviced. Other signs include your door becoming increasingly difficult to open or close or if it starts to come off its tracks. Regular maintenance checks can help prevent more serious issues from developing, so it’s always best to stay on top of things.
A garage door should continue to function as well as it did when you first bought it. If you notice any part of it lacking, it’s definitely worth figuring out exactly why and addressing the problem.
It’s important to keep your garage door in good working condition by regularly maintaining it. By following the tips on this checklist, you can help ensure that your garage door continues to work properly for years to come.
This will not only help reduce the risk of anyone or anything being hurt by the door but will ensure you don’t accidentally let some serious damage occur, which could lead to the need for a brand new replacement door.