Hot water is necessary for daily life. From hot showers and baths to dishwashing and laundry, we use hot water to keep ourselves and our homes neat. Before, people used firewood or a stove for their daily hot water supply. However, as technology advanced, we developed hot water systems which heat up and store hot water, ready for us to use anytime we want, making it convenient for frequent use.
The question is, which hot water system should we install in our home? With many hot water systems nowadays, choosing the right one for your household may be confusing. In this article, you will learn about the gas hot water system, its benefits, and the science behind them.
What Are Instant Gas Hot Water Systems and Why Are They Important and Beneficial in Our Daily Lives?
Instant gas hot water systems heat water on demand and do not require a tank to store the hot water. These systems heat water through a gas burner in coiled pipes. When you turn on the tap, the gas burner begins to heat the water in the heat exchange.
You can enjoy the same benefits with this as a typical gas hot water system, such as:
- Endless supply of temperature-controlled hot water flow. Instant gas hot water systems only heat water when you turn on the tap. It delivers continuous water at your service.
- Energy savings and efficiency. Compared to a gas storage hot water system, an instant hot water system eliminates a water tank, saving energy to control the temperature of the stored water whenever not in use.
- Lasts long. An instantaneous hot water system usually lasts up to 20 years. This is significantly longer than a tank water heater, which usually lasts for only 10 to 12 years. With its long lifespan, you can reap its benefits in the long run.
- Cleaner and fresher water. One concern with tank water heaters is the risk of corrosion over time. When you go for instant or tankless water heaters, there is no tank to rust, guaranteeing cleaner and fresher water.
- Healthier and safer water. Continuous flow water systems heat water to 50°C as these systems do not have an issue with the risk of bacteria growth, making them produce healthier and safer hot water for everyday use.
Understanding the Science of Instant Gas Hot Water Systems
With its small size, one may be wary of using instant gas hot water systems. In this section, you will learn about how this system of water heating works and the science behind it.
The Fundamental Science: Combustion
To heat the water whenever you turn on your tap, you first need to have a particular form of combustion in the water system.
In an instant gas water heater, combustion occurs through the control board. When the flow sensor sends a signal to the control board, it switches on the system’s heating elements. An instant gas hot water system uses the induction fan to pull in combustion air. Then, the gas valve is opened, igniting the burner. When the burner lights up, cold water can pass through the mixing valve, which heats up and eventually leaves to be poured by the tap.
Because of this system of heating water, instant gas hot water systems are more energy efficient. Units with an energy label usually use 9% less energy than conventional ones.
Heat Exchange Principle
Instant water heaters have the same water heating principle as other gas water heaters. When you turn on the hot water tap, cold water gets drawn into the water heater, in which a gas burner will be then activated by a flow sensor. Cold water then enters and encircles the heat exchanger, where it heats up and leaves at its target temperature. The combustion gases emitted then safely exit the water heater through a sealed vent system.
Instant gas water heaters have a secondary heat exchanger which extracts more heat from the combustion gas. It then cools to the point where condensation forms. Because of this, tankless gas water heaters vent through a vertical PVC pipe and a condensate drain.
Temperature is controlled in the gas water heater system through a temperature sensor that monitors the water as it exits the heat exchanger and mixing valve. This allows the control board to adjust the water flow, heat input, and even the amount of cold water added to the mixing valve to maintain the ideal hot water temperature.
The Role of Sensors and Microprocessors
Just like any appliance, an instant gas water heater has vital parts for its proper function. Two important parts of a tankless water heater include the sensor and the microprocessor.
- Sensor. This part of an instant gas hot water system detects the presence of water flow. Once the sensor identifies demand, it initiates the heating process in the system. An instant water heater usually has multiple sensors— the flow sensor, which detects the presence of water and other sensors, and monitors the incoming and outgoing temperature.
- Microprocessor. The microprocessor works hand in hand with your water system’s heater to monitor the temperature of the hot water produced by your heating system. When sensors monitor the temperature of the incoming and outgoing water, these send the information to the microprocessor. It then determines the precise amount of power needed to send to the heating elements of the system to heat the water to the desired temperature.
Without the sensors and microprocessors, your instant gas hot water system cannot function properly.
Install Your Home’s Own Instant Gas Hot Water System Today
An instant gas hot water system provides you with continuous hot water at any time you need it. Compared to a storage-tank water heater, these provide more benefits, including safer, healthier, cleaner, and fresher water. These also take up less space and last longer, saving money in the long run.
Instant hot water systems cannot function properly without the help of sensors and microprocessors. These parts ensure the system provides you with hot water at your convenience without disrupting the water flow. The water heats up in the hot water system through the combustion process through an induction fan. Water then heats up with the help of the heat exchanger once cold water encircles it.
It is important to remember that instant gas hot water systems advance with technology. Nowadays, more and more units become energy efficient, making them emit fewer greenhouse gases than before. These advances also make it quicker to heat water, making it more convenient and helpful in our daily lives.
Ready to supply your household with a continuous flow of hot water? Contact us today to get advice on which gas hot water system is best for your home!