If you have thought about building a garage onto your home, you know how convenient they are and how much they can add to your home. They can keep your vehicles safe from the elements and give you more storage space. A new garage will also add to the value of your home. The price can vary widely based on the type of garage you build and where you are located.
How Much to Build a Garage?
The average cost of building a garage is anywhere from $17,000 to $39,000. The exact cost will depend on the size of the garage, the type of materials used and your location. The average cost of building a garage is about $50 per square foot. If you are building a one-car garage, expect to pay anywhere from $10,500 to $27,000. A two-car garage will generally cost from $14,500 to $40,000. A two-car garage plus an extra work or storage area can cost $20,800 to $52,000. If you want a three-car garage or even larger, expect to pay at least $57,000 to build it.
An average of $40 to $70 per square foot is the expected cost of a basic garage, but higher-end garage spaces will cost more. If you want higher-end materials, extra storage or add plumbing in a garage, you can expect to pay anywhere from $120 to $350 per square foot.
Costs for Building a Garage
Included in the price of building a garage are many different costs. These include:
- General contractor: The cost of the contractor is anywhere from 10% to 20% of the total cost of the garage.
- Labor: The labor costs add up quickly, and they are generally between 50% and 70% of the total cost.
- Design: The design itself from an architect or draftsperson will cost anywhere from $500 to $1,000.
- Foundation: For a concrete slab foundation, expect to pay anywhere from $1,500 to $8,500, depending on the size of the garage. A two-car garage often costs from $3,000 to $7,000.
- Framing: The framing for the garage for a two-car unit will cost between $4 and $8 per square foot.
- Garage Door: For each door, you can expect to pay $750 to $1,500. Typical, two-door garages cost from about $1,500 to $3,000.
- Roofing: The roofing will cost anywhere from $1,600 to $16,000 based on the amount of insulation and the size of the garage.
- Permits: You will need a permit to build the garage, and these vary by area and can be from $200 to $1,500.
Understanding the basic costs that go into building a garage can help you to understand where the money goes and why it costs what it does. Visit Angi, formerly Angie’s List, for more information on all your home improvement projects and for help building a garage on your property.