Water shortages are common in construction sites, particularly in dry areas. Hence, there’s a high demand for water trucks in such areas. Construction companies are already facing this issue for their workers and equipment, and the situation will only worsen as the city expands.
Water trucks Sydney are also known as water carts. It moves water between two locations where the water is scarce. These are most commonly found in construction sites, mines, landscapes, etc. These are vital in controlling the dust.
Such vehicles have some laws about operating in cities such as Sydney. Cart operators must have a Class C license to drive it.
Such trucks should have a conditional registration. This grants these vehicles permission to run and operate on roads and nearby areas.
This gives the vehicle limited access to perform some unique functions or tasks. One cannot use the cart legally without registration.
The authorities set certain specifications for these if they want conditional registration. Some of these specifications are:-
- If it has a compliance plate, it is not eligible for conditional registration. You’ll also have to pay heavy vehicle charges.
- If a vehicle runs only on a chassis, it is not eligible for conditional registration. You will have to get a complete roster for that vehicle.
- Water trucks in Sydney do not qualify as oversize vehicles. They cannot operate on any bridge or culvert without the approval of the road authorities.
Carts must also have the following equipment to get the registration.
- There should be red reflective tape on the rear side of the truck. It should have this tape if there are no reflectors in the rear lamp.
- These should also have delineators, and highlight the dimensions.
- The driver seat should also have an occupant restraint for their safety.
- Other safety equipment includes a horn, rear view mirrors, brake and turn lights, amber rotating beacon, rear reflectors, side reflective tape, headlights, tail lights, and reflective number plates.
Drivers must choose their carts from a reputed provider, where they can get comforts like automatic transmission and a proper air conditioning system inside. They must also select those having multiple functionalities like several sprayers, compact cabin controlling systems, hose reels, and the latest pumps.
Conditions of Using
A cart with conditional registration can only be used under the following conditions:-
- The truck must have a flashing amber beacon. The operator should use this beacon while driving.
- You can drive a water truck for crossing roads or similar areas between worksites.
- You have the authority to use it with conditional registration only within a working zone.
- The water truck should also contain a steering failure warning system or sign in case of an emergency. This point is only valid for those that have hydraulic steering.
- Carts with conditional registration should also have a left-hand drive sign on them.
- The registered trucks should have ample lighting as specified.
The above article mentions the laws under which one can operate a water truck. Drivers must follow these guidelines to avoid getting into trouble with the country’s law. They should also select the latest models from renowned manufacturers in the city to get effective equipment with perfect safety compliances.