Winter is a time when many homeowners experience electrical problems. They cause damage to your home and pose a serious safety hazard. The best way to avoid the issues is to have an electrical inspection before winter. This will identify potential risks and enable you to take steps to prevent them.
Contact Naples Electrical Panel Services | A/C Electrical Services for the assessment. You’ll also have any issues fixed in no time. Read on to learn more on how to keep your home safe from electrical hazards this winter:
Check The Electrical Wiring
Frayed, damaged, or loose electrical wiring is a major safety hazard. Replace or repair any damaged wiring immediately. The most critical places to check for damaged wiring are:
- The electrical panel and circuit breakers
- Outlets and switches
- Extension cords
Keep Water Away From Electrical Sources
Water and electricity do not mix. If water comes into contact with exposed electrical wiring, it causes a short circuit, leading to an electrical fire. Keep all electrical sources away from moisture. These include:
- Water heaters
- Sump pumps
- Washing machines
Also, keep checking for leaks and repair them immediately. Any plumbing issues, including burst pipes, can lead to serious water damage. Inspect the attic and basement too.
Use Space Heaters Safely
Space heaters are a common cause of winter house fires. To prevent this, follow these tips:
- Buy a space heater with an automatic shut-off feature
- Place the heater on a level, non-flammable surface
- Keep it away from flammable objects, such as furniture, curtains, and bedding
- Never leave a space heater unattended
Be Careful With Candles
Candles are another common cause of winter house fires. They can easily tip over and catch something on fire. Keep them away from flammable objects, such as furniture, curtains, and bedding. Blow them out before leaving the room or going to sleep. If possible, use battery-operated candles instead.
Don’t Overload Electrical Sockets
Overloaded electrical sockets are a major fire hazard. You’re more likely to overload the sockets in winter because you use more electrical devices, such as space heaters and holiday lights. Don’t plug more than one device into each socket. Use a power strip with an overload protection feature if you need to. Better still, install more sockets.
Inspect Your Fireplace
Your fireplace is a potential fire hazard if it’s not properly maintained. Get the chimney cleaned and inspected every year. Also, ensure there’s nothing flammable near the fireplace, such as furniture, curtains, and bedding.
Check whether there’re pest droppings and nests in the fireplace too. If there are, have them removed immediately, as they could cause a fire. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.
Check Your Smoke Alarms
Have working smoke alarms in your home. They can save your life in the event of a fire. Test them monthly and replace the batteries at least once a year. The same goes for carbon monoxide detectors. Install them in every room, as carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless.
Be Mindful of Electrical Appliances
Appliances such as coffee makers, toasters, and hair straighteners can cause fires if not used properly. Unplug when not in use, and don’t leave them unattended. Never use these appliances near flammable objects, such as curtains, furniture, and bedding. Regularly check the cords for any damage and replace them if necessary.
Have Your Furnace Inspected
Your furnace should be inspected and serviced every year by a professional. Doing so ensures that it’s running efficiently and safely. A dirty, broken-down unit can easily cause a fire. Replace worn-out parts, oil the motor, and clean the filters. Also, check the vents and clean often.
Don’t Use Portable Generators Indoors
Don’t bring a portable generator indoors if you lose power during a winter storm. The exhaust from these generators contains carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. Use the generator outdoors, far away from windows, doors, and vents.
By following these tips, you’ll keep your home safe this winter. You’re also assured of a consistent power supply no matter the weather conditions. Always consult a professional when you suspect an issue.