Mold is a serious problem that should never be taken lightly. When you find mold in your home, it may seem like a quick and easy solution to paint over the mold, but this can actually lead to bigger and more costly problems down the road. In this blog post, we will discuss three dangers of painting over mold. Keep reading to learn more!
What exactly is Mold?
So, what is mold? Mold is a type of fungi that can grow both indoors and outdoors. Mold spores are everywhere and can enter your home through open doors, windows, ventilation systems, or on pets. Once mold spores land on a wet or damp surface, they will begin to grow.
Mold can cause a variety of health problems, including respiratory problems, skin irritation, and allergic reactions. Mold also produces spores, which can be harmful if inhaled. When mold growth is discovered, it’s important to take action to clean it up.
Mold normally doesn’t cause problems indoors unless it begins growing indoors. When mold starts to grow indoors, it can cause a variety of health problems for people who are exposed to it including respiratory problems, skin irritation, and allergic reactions. Mold also produces spores, which can be harmful if inhaled. When mold growth is discovered, it’s important to take action to clean it up.
Paint doesn’t kill the mold
Many people think that painting over mold will kill the mold and prevent it from coming back. However, this is not the case. Mold needs two things to grow: moisture and organic matter. If you paint over mold, you are only sealing in the moisture and organic matter that the mold needs to grow. In fact, painting over mold can actually make the problem worse by creating a dark, moist environment that is perfect for mold growth. If you have mold in your home, the best course of action is to remove the source of moisture and organic matter that the mold is feeding on. Only then can you effectively address the problem of mold growth.
In order to kill mold you will likely need to treat it with chemicals or choose to physically remove what the mold has grown on. If you’re removing an item, be sure you dispose of it properly. You’ll want to enclose it in a garbage bag, and tie it up before placing it in your garbage can.
When it’s not an item that you can just throw out, you can try a solution of Clorox. This works best in small areas. For larger projects it may be best to consult a mold removal professional, as they will have the experience necessary to ensure the proper removal of the mold. Once the area has been treated to kill the mold then it is okay to paint over the area.
It can continue growing
If you think a fresh coat of paint will stop mold in its tracks, think again. Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in damp, dark environments. When mold spores land on a wet surface, they quickly start to grow and multiply. Painting over mold will not kill it or prevent it from spreading. In fact, the paint will actually provide the perfect conditions for mold to thrive. The paint will create a barrier that will trap moisture, giving the mold a constant source of food and water. As the mold continues to grow, it will eventually break through the paint and continue to spread. If you have mold in your home, the best way to get rid of it is to remove the affected materials and clean the area with bleach or another EPA-approved cleaner. Only then should you repaint the area.
It can flake off your paint
It’s easy to spot mold on painted surfaces – the telltale signs are black or green stains, and paint that is peeling or flaking off. Many homeowners try to simply cover up mold by painting over it, but this is only a temporary solution. Eventually, the mold will continue to grow and will cause the new paint to flake off. In addition, mold can release spores into the air, which can cause respiratory problems for people with allergies or asthma. If you suspect that there is mold present, it’s best to remove it completely before repainting. Bleach can be used to kill mold, but it’s also important to repair any water damage that may have caused the mold to grow in the first place. Once the area is dry and free of mold, you can safely repaint it.
If you have mold, don’t paint over it. It may seem like the easy solution, but it’s not effective and can actually make the problem worse. Contact a professional to get rid of the mold and keep your home healthy and safe.