Carpets and couches along with bringing in warmth and coziness highlight the style and decor of your house. At the same time, they are also the most comfortable and used pieces of your furniture and furnishing.
The most loved corner of the house with that favourite comfortable couch is bound to receive spill, dust, oil, pet hair etc. This will lead to heavy wear and tear and ugly looks with those undesirable stains. Cleaning such a couch and carpet looks like a nightmare.
To avoid getting in a situation where the cleaning becomes impossible and stains become permanent, mentioned below are some tips and tricks to clean your upholstery and carpets.
Points To Remember:
- Ensure that you clean the carpets and upholstery together. This ensures a germ-free house at one go.
- Make the habit of cleaning on regular intervals preferably on a weekly basis.
- Stains should be handled immediately by dabbing and blotting the stain to avoid the permanent mark.
- Check the label with washing instructions. Strictly follow the same as it could mean permanent damage to the upholstery otherwise.
- Know the codes before starting the cleaning.
- W – Indicates that you should only use the water-based cleaner.
- S/W – It is safe to use both solvents and water-based cleaners.
- S – Only use of a solvent to clean the upholstery.
- X – No cleaning agents should be used on the upholstery and carpet with this code. It should only be vacuumed or cleaning should be done by professionals only.
Loosen The Dirt:
Use a stiff brush with natural bristles to loosen the dried out spills, pet hair and dust. Brushing will bring dust to the surface.
Start with vacuum cleaning to remove the loosened dust and debris. The standard upright vacuum with various attachments can be used as the carpet and the couch cleaner. This will remove the dust and will make it easier to identify and focus on the stubborn areas.
Portable upholstery cleaner with the crevices tools can be used to clean the upholstery, especially the edges of the couches. Do not forget the back and the lower side of the couches.
Cleaning With Required Cleaning Agents:
Based on the type of fabric, code of the fabric and the washing instructions on the label. Dab a clean soft towel or muslin cloth in the cleaning solution, wipe the carpet and the sofa gently. To remain on the safer side, test the solvent mixture on the small inconspicuous corner like the inside of the skit of the sofa or a corner of the carpet.
Later, wipe with a damp towel to remove the solvent or the soap solution. Finally clean with a dry towel to completely dry the upholstery.
You can even use a mixture of baking soda and water as a cleaning agent. This the most effective DIY tip to get a sparkling clean and odour free upholstery.
Rub The Stains:
Deal with stubborn stains with a clean sponge dipped in solvent rubbing it in a circular motion to remove those tough stains. Rinse the area with a wet towel.
Ensure to dry rinse and dry the carpet and the couch to avoid early resoiling.
Finally, vacuum again the cleaned carpet and upholstery again to remove the moisture and any remaining dirt.
Do not use the upholstery till it is completely dry as it may attract germs, mildews and dust. Leave it overnight with free-flowing air by leaving your windows open or fan faced towards the washed upholstery.
Besides regular cleaning by professionals, simple cleaning tips mentioned above can help you in keeping your room neat, tidy and odour-free. The best time to get the cleaning done by professionals is the springtime or before the holidays.