Just like many other parents, you might also be confused about what all your baby needs. Well, this confusion is right for you. One of the most important baby gears that you might want to purchase for your newborn baby is a baby cradle. It is not only about making an investment but it is also important because it helps you to maintain a proper sleep routine for your baby. It also offers support to your baby’s back while he is asleep and helps you to avoid co-sleeping with your baby.
What is a cradle?
A cradle looks like a bed that is similar to a crib but is smaller in size. A baby cradle can also have a manual side-to-side rocking or gliding mechanism. It is made up of wood for extra safety and sturdiness. It is a wonderful piece of furniture when it comes to your baby. Since it is made up of wood, you can easily find a baby cradle in any good wooden furniture store in your area or you can even look for the same over the internet. There are many online vendors that offer fancy and durable baby cradle that is made up of heavy and breathable polyester mesh.
What are the benefits of using a baby cradle?
New parents don’t buy anything blindly. They have to do proper research about everything to make sure that their baby is comfortable and happy. Here are some of the pros of using a cradle.
- Most of the baby cradle is made up of wood. So, it is said that a cradle is sturdy and safe.
- You can easily move this cradle from one place to another because it is very portable. You can keep the cradle in your room when you are sleeping and you want to keep a check on the baby. You can also shift this cradle to your lobby during the daytime while you are working and want to keep the baby close to you.
- In case your baby is fussy, you can use this cradle to calm him down. By rocking or gliding, you can easily calm down the baby so that he can sleep comfortably.
- It allows you to keep your baby close to you during the early months.
- A cradle can carry a baby up to a few kilograms. So, you don’t have to worry about changing the bedding within just a few months. You can also use the same cradle for your second baby. Some people are smart so they get the cradle customized in such a way that it can be used as a study table at the later stage of the child’s life.
- You can easily switch the baby from a cradle to a crib because the two are similar but the only difference is about the size.
Must-have Features in a baby cradle
A baby cradle is one of the first few items that you purchase for your baby. It is very natural for you to do thorough research about whatever you are buying for your baby. Since your little one is very delicate during his early days and needs the gentlest care, you should buy the best baby cradle for him. You should make sure that the cradle meets all the required safety standards and comfort guidelines so that it can suit well to your little one.
Here is what you should look for-
- Baby’s age- These cribs and cradles are designed keeping in mind the age of the baby. A baby cradle is useful during the baby’s early months, say till 8 months. Post that you need to shift the baby to a crib. After 3 years, you can easily move your baby to a bed.
- Compliance with safety standards- You should make sure that the product is in compliance with accepted cradle safety standards related to structure, design, usage, etc. You should confirm all these details with the seller. In case you are buying a cradle online, you can go to the seller’s website and read about the product description before buying it.
- Sturdy mattress- Other than the cradle itself, you should make sure that you buy a sturdy mattress. This mattress should be stable and sturdy. The mattress should fit well into the cradle so that there are no loose ends. You can look for a cradle that comes with strong mattress support.
- Swing option- another interesting feature that you can look for in the cradle is a swing option. Nowadays these cradles have become way too modern and fancy. These manufacturers know how much these little ones love to swing. So, you can look for a swing option in a cradle which has proved to be an effective method to help the babies fall asleep. You can also go for a rocking cradle that allows you to swing the baby safely. The automatic swing option allows you to control the amount of swinging with just a simple on and off mechanism.
- Cradle with lockable- Wheels might look tempting because they allow you to move the cradle from one place to another but an infant cradle that comes with wheels can be dangerous. You should go for the cradle that either has no wheels or has a brake system for added security.
- Lullabies- Since a lullaby is a great way to put the baby to sleep, you can go for a cradle that has a music system. This feature is optional though.
To Sum It Up
According to various surveys, every new parent is sleep deprived. So, they are constantly looking for ways that can help them to put their baby to sleep so that even they can enjoy a good night’s sleep. A baby cradle seems like a savior in this case. It helps you to put your baby to sleep in no time and also gives him a separate space that is free from adult intervention.