Are you planning to buy new area rugs but don’t know where to start? It is quite understandable as there are many variables you should consider to pick the ideal area rug for your home. Some considerations you should keep in mind are the size, patterns and colors, style, and shape of a rug. Though, today we will be talking about the material, one essential thing that defines an ideal area rug that suits your expectations.
Once you decide on the material of a rug, it will be a lot easier to determine where to place your area rug and how to clean and maintain it. Hence, knowing which material is the one you need for your rug will ease your job of deciding other variables and so to find the perfect area rugs for your home. So, keep reading to learn everything you should know about natural and synthetic area rug materials to become closer to finding out the best area rugs that will beautify your living space!
Natural Area Rugs
Although various natural rug materials have different qualities, all natural rugs still share some basic features. For instance, they are generally made from renewable materials, making them better options for those who prefer eco-friendly area rugs. Besides, compared to synthetic rugs, natural rugs are usually more expensive because of their materials and production processes. However, there are still many differences between each natural area rug material. Here are the most popular natural rug materials along with their basic features:
- Wool: As one of the most well-known rug materials, wool is preferable for those after durability, comfort, and coziness. You can use your wool area rug in almost any room in your house, except in wet areas that can cause permanent damage to your rug because of humidity. Other than that, wool rugs are durable enough to withstand even high-traffic use.
- Cotton: Compared to other natural area rugs, cotton rugs are more budget-friendly, making them a popular rug material. Besides, they are anti-allergic, soft, and generally machine-washable, as well as they come in various color and pattern options. However, you may want to know that cotton rugs are not as durable as wool rugs, so it is always better to use them in low-traffic areas.
- Silk: Presenting luxury and softness, silk area rugs are among the most expensive area rugs. Silk rugs should be used in low-traffic areas, like bedrooms, because they require professional cleaning and show footprints.
- Jute: Jute rugs are durable, renewable, and free from chemical processing, and also, they are perfect for both indoors and outdoors. Their unique texture adds beauty to any decoration, but if you are looking for softness and coziness, jute rugs may not be your first choice.
Synthetic Area Rugs
As made out of human-made materials, synthetic rugs are excellent imitations of natural rugs. They are budget-friendly, easy to clean, and durable, and they also come in various types, colors, and patterns, allowing you to find the one that perfectly suits your home decoration. The most preferred synthetic rug materials are as follows:
- Polyester: These area rugs are easy to clean and come in various color and style options. Besides, polyester rugs are suitable for high-traffic areas. However, polyester rugs are not durable enough to be used for years, but they are highly budget-friendly, making them easy to be replaced.
- Polypropylene: As the most popular synthetic area rug material, polypropylene is really good at mimicking natural rug materials. They add beauty to your home decoration with their vibrant colors and soft textures. As a functional and durable material, polypropylene is also suitable for high-traffic areas and outdoors. However, since it is a flammable material, it is not recommended to use polypropylene rugs in areas with intense heat, like kitchens.
- Viscose: Being the synthetic and more affordable alternative to silk area rugs, viscose area rugs help you create a luxurious atmosphere in your home. As they are prone to shedding, viscose rugs are unsuitable for high-traffic areas and require careful cleaning and maintenance.
- Nylon: As affordable, durable, and versatile area rugs, nylon rugs are highly popular choices, especially for those looking for suitable rugs for high-traffic areas. However, nylon is not the healthiest material pick, which you may want to keep in mind.
If you are hunting for the best area rugs that will perfectly complement and beautify your home, you should decide on your rugs’ material so you can know how and where to use them. Once you become familiar with the materials, finding your ideal area rugs will be much easier.
As offering beautiful and versatile area rugs for affordable prices, Antep Rugs is here to help you complete your home decoration in the best way possible. Check their catalog to see your area rug material options, amongst which you will definitely find the ones that will meet all your expectations.