The roof is a crucial part of the home as it protects the property and your family against outdoor elements. So, it gets exposed to changing weather conditions, withstanding extreme heat during summer and snowstorms during winter. Therefore, its durability and protective capabilities may degrade over time.
One way to maintain your roof is through a regular inspection. A professional roof inspection includes looking for existing damage and identifying weak spots to prevent future issues. Including it in your home maintenance checklist is imperative. How often should you perform a roof inspection? Here are some factors to consider:
No matter how durable your roofing material is, it can wear out over time. If you’re in a region with harsh winters, storm damage is common. The snow, hail, wind, and rain can cause cracks and leaks. In this case, an immediate professional inspection is imperative.
Roof inspection after a storm is necessary to repair potential leaks. It’s even more crucial if trees surround your home, which may cause further damage during a strong wind. The experts will look for signs of damage to repair and restore your roof to its pristine condition.
- Roof Age
Roofs in period properties are more prone to damage, especially those lacking a maintenance inspection and cleaning. Every homeowner must get a regular roof inspection at least every year. Doing it more frequently is best if you have an older home.
A maintenance inspection involves checking your roof regularly, even if it shows no signs of visible damage. You may hire a professional roof inspector once or twice yearly for better and more updated troubleshooting and repairs. Experts will offer additional services like roof and gutter clearing to prevent clogs.
- Roof Material
A roof’s durability and capability to withstand outdoor elements depend on its material. Some roofing materials may require less maintenance than others, making roof inspection less frequent. That said, each homeowner must get a regular inspection and proper maintenance based on materials to ensure longevity. Here are some of the most popular roofing materials:
- Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingles are durable, affordable, and easy to install, making them one of the most popular roofing options. However, it may require more effort to maintain.
This roofing material requires a strict yearly inspection, especially before or after months of harsh weather conditions. Its maintenance includes trimming tree branches that may hit the roof during a strong wind and unclogging the gutters.
- Metal: Metal roofing is common in modern homes due to its sleek look. It’s a low-maintenance option, especially for premium materials with a protective coating. However, an annual inspection is still imperative.
Regular metal roof inspection and maintenance can prevent cracks and leaks. Small dents can cause water pooling, leading to corrosion. Therefore, fixing these issues before winter or rainy season is a must.
- Slate: Slate is a common roofing material among period properties. Since it’s not as common as an asphalt or metal roof, maintaining it can be challenging.
Like other roofing materials, slate requires an annual inspection and maintenance. Loose shingles may slip and break over time, especially if branches hit the roof during a strong wind.
- Terracotta Tiles: Terracotta or clay tiles are classic roofing for Mediterranean and Spanish-colonial style homes. Experts encourage homeowners to get a roof inspection every spring or fall. This material is also prone to algae and mold, so frequent cleaning is necessary.
- Synthetic Shingles: Synthetic roof shingles are highly durable, lasting around 40 to 50 years. However, it may require more frequent cleaning, up to four times a year. Like other roofing materials, an annual inspection is imperative.
Most experts recommend a strict annual roof inspection while following required maintenance specific to each roofing material.
Benefits Of Roof Inspection
Getting a roof inspection at least once a year is crucial to maintaining your home’s safety and comfort. Following this standard maximizes the following benefits:
- Detect Early Signs Of Damage: A professional roof inspection helps detect early signs of damage before it becomes a major issue. It may include misaligned shingles or hairline cracks that may cause leaks. Early detection also helps reduce the risk of expensive repairs.
- Determines When To Replace Roof: You may expect a roof replacement if you live in a period property. An expert inspection determines the perfect time to replace your roof to maintain your home.
- Prepares Your House For Extreme Weather: Experts recommend inspecting your roof before winter to ensure it’s strong enough to withstand snow and strong winds.
- Protects Roofing Material Warranty: Suppliers offer a warranty for roofing materials, only applicable with proven proper maintenance.
- Increases Property Value: Homeowners must include a professional roof inspection in their annual home maintenance checklist. Proper restoration, repair, and upgrade will help increase property value.
A professional roof inspection may add to your yearly expenses, but its benefits are worth every penny.
What To Expect
A roof inspection evaluates the condition of your roofing from the exterior to the interior. When you hire a professional roofing inspector, you can expect the following:
- Looking For Signs Of Water Damage: Detecting water damage can be tricky, especially early stages. An expert will look for subtle signs and perform necessary repairs.
- Unclogging Gutters: A complete roof inspection and maintenance includes unclogging gutters. A clean gutter is imperative to preventing leaks.
- Attic Insulation Inspection: A professional also inspects the efficiency of your attic insulation. This step is crucial for maintaining your indoor temperature all year.
- Flashing Replacement: An expert will detect all issues with the flashing and may suggest a resealing or replacement, depending on its condition.
- General Repair: Roof inspection and repair go together. Most roofing companies offer all the necessary services for hassle-free maintenance.
The best way to know the inclusions of a professional roof inspection, talk to a roofing maintenance expert near you.
How Much Does It Cost?
Roofing inspection costs vary depending on the method and scale. A physical inspection costs around USD$75 to USD$200, which may increase if you have a larger roof area. On the other hand, other methods like drone and infrared inspection may run around USD$400 to USD$600.
A regular roof inspection is imperative in maintaining your home’s durability, safety, and curb appeal. Hiring a professional inspector helps prolong the protective capabilities of your roof and upgrade your house’s efficiency.