Windows are our link to the outside world and to nature.
Imagine a room with no windows and how dreary and depressing it feels. By extension, the kind of window treatments we choose can break or make space. But, we often overlook the significance of window treatments.
Leaving your windows naked works perfectly well in isolated places, but for the majority of us who live in urban areas, window treatments add more than a touch of style but serve an important function of offering privacy.
Window treatments come in various soft and hard designs, from flowing drapes to laidback shutters to roman shades.
Why do we need window treatments?
Window treatment acts as:
- Decor – Use window treatments with complementing textures and hues to integrate with your current décor for stylistic elements.
- Temperature control – Window dressing provides insulation during winter and thermal backing during summer.
- Light control – Some window treatment helps in blocking off ultraviolet light while others let in light.
- Visibility – With window dressing, you can cut down visibility and enjoy privacy
Modern window treatments
Here are the top modern window treatment ideas for privacy and style
Whether you prefer vinyl or wood, shutters can easily bring in functionality and beauty.
There are many styles of shutters include the attractive Bahamas, relaxed board and batten, classic shutters, louvered and combination shutter styles, and they help in
For modern style, you can install white shutters and dark wood for a more traditional look. Dark wood shutters blend perfectly in white and neutral hues, giving your space a vintage feel.
Additionally, for your farmhouse, you can go for rustic wood shutters that blend in with your overall style.
Remember, your window shutters should enhance your home’s look while providing you with privacy and insulation.
Window shades are a more feminine and subtle option that still maintains a minimalist look.
Window shades come in various solid lengths material that use lifting or cord mechanism to pull down or up. They are attached to the window’s upper edge using a rod or frame.
Apart from providing privacy and blocking out direct light, shades come in endless patterns, colors, and techniques, making them perfect for any window style.
To add more charm, allure, and drama to any room, you can choose from various shades like roller shades, tie-up shades, roman shades, balloon shades, among others.
- Roller shades – Effortless to use, roller shades operate manually or using motors for the advanced versions. They come in different variants and styles to suit any décor. Tip: For an alluring look, incorporate trims or tassels.
- Roman shades – Popular and classic, these shades use sheer fabrics to allow more light in and a thicker fabric to block out the light. When closed, they form an alluring hang down look and crisp pleats when opened. Choose either bamboo or fabric material for a modish style.
- Balloon shades – When opened, balloon shades cascade in billowy poufs that gives your window treatment a formal and romantic look. They come in either silky or sheer fabrics that drape easily and gracefully while retaining their functionality.
- Tie-up shades – This stagecoach style works by hanging the shades flat on the window using a mounting board or rod. Then you lift the shades to your desired height using attached ties or ribbons.
3. Window Blinds
Blinds are an affordable and popular choice of window dressing.
Close them up for solitude or open them up and indulge in the magnificence of the outside world.
The primary options are wood slat and aluminum; however, faux wood blinds have become the preferred choice due to their durability.
Blinds with routeless or tight-fitting slats darken the rooms better than plain ones. Add a distinguished look by opting for either vertical, Venetian, pleated, double, or panel track blinds.
- Smart blinds – Take your windows to the next level with technology. These blinds are automatically operated using an app or your voice. You can sync and program them to adjust according to time and weather.
- Panel track blinds – These are a hybrid of shades and blinds. The panels slide left to right or to the center and are perfect for sliding glass doors.
- Rattan blinds – Deliver some privacy while allowing little natural light to shine through using rattan blinds. They blend perfectly with any window design and décor.
- Vertical Blinds: Available in series or vertical slats, these blinds can either be pulled together or rotated to adjust light exposure.
4. Window Film
Over the years, window film has evolved and the recently developed architectural ceramic window films provide a balance between durability and versatility.
Made with ceramic films, it uses sputter coating technology to allow the film’s uniform deposition on your windows. As such ceramic window films;
- Add to your exterior and interior décor
- Blocks sun glare that is detrimental to your loved ones and your furnishings
- Reduces heat gain in summer and provides insulation during winter
- Substantially reduces dangers associated with easily shattered glass
- Blocks over 99% of the unsafe UV rays
- Offers more natural tones and less reflectivity, thus reducing eye strain while enhancing the outside view
- Are resistant to scratching, thus an increased lifespan
- Improves window insulating performance, thus reducing energy cost
Although ceramic films are expensive, you can recover your purchase cost faster through their energy-saving features.
Probably the oldest and most used window treatment option, curtains can create a sophisticated look to any space. They block light and provide privacy while creating a focal point in your home.
Drapes/curtains are available in endless patterns and hues, great for any space.
Curtains vary in their light and noise absorption, dust and oil retention, life span, and ease of cleaning depending on their material. Curtains are either operated with cords, manually, remote-controlled and press-button pads, making them a versatile window treatment.
Choose neutral curtains to make your room feel visually large and welcoming while keeping it cool and private. For a warm modern look, opt for contrasting drapes or color-blocked curtains with white sheers.
Choose a floor to ceiling curtains for a heightened glamour and instant drama that makes your windows appear more expansive and grander.
Opt for custom curtain/drapery for an exclusive look that complements your home finishing while providing a luxurious feel.
So, are you ready to change your window treatments?
We hope our exploration of window treatments has stimulated you to start thinking of a change. With plenty of alternatives to choose from, you can easily ensure they harmonize your home décor for style and privacy. You can change your window treatments regularly to fit the trending fashion or your acquired taste. So don’t stick with outdated window treatments, get creative, and showcase your home.